Thursday 6 July 2017

First, the Aussies came to Yorkshire.

It is over a year since I blogged. I felt that my ramblings from England, and those from the Minervois had become tired and I seemed to be repeating myself as the predictable seasonal rhythms in both places continued.

I'm not sure whether dipping my toe back into the blogging pool will be the start of another long term commitment.......but I'm going to see how things develop.

Since last year, our UK base has moved from Hebden Bridge. On return from France last Autumn, we put the house on the market and sold it within days. We quickly found a new UK home, just 20 miles away, on the outskirts of Huddersfield, much closer to all of our grandchildren. We moved into the new house in February, and love it. We see the children more often, the house itself suits us perfectly and I love the garden, and the views across the Colne Valley.

The view from our new garden across the viaduct in Milnsbridge

I am now back in Caunes, and our summer activities are in full swing. There seems to be so much going on. The usual concerts, fetes, repas, vide greniers, cafe des langues meetings, gardening, walking, swimming, drinking coffee/wine with friends and planning for the vists from friends, children and grandchildren are filling our days.

Loving being back in Caunes

So, what is different ? Probably not too much, but having one of my Australian cousins, and her cousin visit us in Yorkshire and here in France has made me look at things a little differently.

It was good to see both our homes, through their eyes. It has confirmed to me how lucky we are to have such a lovely balance in our lives, and maybe it has made me feel more grateful for what we have.

Mark and I always ready to enjoy good food, wine and company.

Our Aussies arrived in Yorkshire on their first ever trip to Europe. Huddersfield is probably not the first port of call for Australian tourists.....but they loved it.

Helen and Linda in Haworth

The weather was kind, in fact it was incredibly , unusually kind. The sun shone, the skies were blue and Yorkshire was at its incredible best.

The Aussies at Bolton Abbey

They visited Haworth, Bolton Abbey, Hebden Bridge, Huddersfield and York. We spent a day in Liverpool, and they joined us for a family party as Huddersfield Town won a play-off final and entered the premier division. ( This was improved for them by the fact that an Aussie player was part of the team ) 

Clark, who actually went to Wembley to see the great victory, while some of us stayed home to watch on TV.

They came with us to the welcome the team back to Huddersfield reception and cheered and shouted along with the rest of us. They were even interviewed on radio one, as they enthused about the team and the town !


The homecoming reception, with Liam and Izzie.

They loved it all...and particularly loved our postman. They were worried that he wasn't wearing long sleeves and a hat in the blazing sunshine. I guess that is something our posties dont usually worry about.

He was very hot.....but was happy to pose for his Aussie fans.

Linda ( my cousin ) and Helen ( her cousin ) left us to spend a few days in London, while we set off for France and Caunes. Their London experience was also excellent....getting into Lords free, as it was Ladies day, crossing the Abbey Road zebra crossing, tea at the Ritz, and walking the streets of London for hours and hours. They loved it all. The perfect guests, and the perfect tourists, wallowing in all their new experiences.

My wonderful Aussie cousins enjoying a glass of wine....in Yorkshire.

( Part two, to follow...... when the Aussies came to Caunes. )

16 comments:

  1. There's almost nowhere better than Yorkshire on a sunny day...so glad they were weather-lucky!!
    It is always interesting to see things through others' eyes. Even better when it looks blessed. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it has taken me a year to get around to writing a blog post and now its nearly 2 weeks before I get around to replying to comments.....je suis paresseuse in the extreme. I cannot beleive how lucky the Aussies were with the Yorkshire weather...it was really wonderful. I'd told them to bring warm coats...they never used them.

      Delete
  2. It is so lovely to see you in this space again Janice and to know that all is well with you and Mark - what a lovely visit you were able to give to your Aussie cousins both in Yorkshire and also then in Caunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary, it is great to see you are still blogging and taking such fabulous photos.

      Delete
  3. Such a pleasant surprise to find you blogging again.
    I know you said that you were wondering where to take your blog...so I am glad it had emerged from hibernation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although facebook means keeping in touch with people is so easy, it has replaced my blogging contacts during the last year. I have missed so many posts from friends who for various reasons, most very sensible, do not share their blogs through fb. It is interesting to see that some of my former blogging friends have also reduced their output somewhat in the last year too. I hope things are working out ok with Leo's home care and you are not too shattered.

      Delete
  4. What a joy to read your post, Janice, and I look forward to Part 2. I am so happy for you that all appears well, and you have found the perfect new home, near your grandchildren. The garden does look lovely, and the view is excellent. The Aussie girls appear to be having a great time, and seeing a beautiful part of England - and now France too. Welcome back, Janice! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see you are still working in blog space. I cant put my finger on why I stopped so completely, but am interested to see that several people I used to follow have done the same thing. Looking forward to catching up with you.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, Janice and wonderful to see you again. I understand completely what you say about feeling that blogging was becoming stale for you. And I have to say I always found your posts interesting and relevant. Looking forward to reading about your Aussies in France...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to see you are still here in blogland, and Im looking forward to catching up and seeing what has been happening in your life recently.

      Delete
  6. Grest to see you back at the keyboard Janice. Hope for more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BtB, I blame facebook for my laziness I think. Short quick comments are a so much easier way of touching base with friends and family. However, reading ( and writing) those longer thoughtful pieces are so much more rewarding.

      Delete
  7. Oh, how I loved reading this, Janice, and how I enjoyed your photos.
    Although you've been off-blogging for a year, it seems like it was just yesterday that you went "down under" and here you are with your wonderful adventures, new home, and your cousin visiting you. Thank you for venturing out into blogland again and I look forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always read your blog posts Penny, as sharing them on facebook makes it so simple. However, I know I have missed so much in friends lives, when those friends do not use facebook. I enjoyed writing about my lovely cousins, so my intention is to continue.....who knows what will happen, but whatever does, I am so pleased to be in touch with you and your lovely home and family.

      Delete
  8. Good to see you back blogging. It's not easy to keep up the pace, especially as you say when you appear to be repeating yourself (not apparent at all, in your case). Your Australian cousins had a double dose of countries that, although close in distance, are way apart in culture. Have a lovely summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, inflammatory bowel disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete